At the beginning of 2022, the law regarding DUI diversion changed. DUIs are no longer eligible for diversion in California. Please contact our office with any questions. Email us at OR Call us at: (415) 886-6333

We Are Open 24/7 And Offer Free In Person And Virtual Consultations.

Call Us 24/7 For a FREE Case Evaluation: (415) 886-6333 Text Us Now: (415) 799-3419

Law Offices of Aaron Bortel

Woman holding a green ID cardIn this article, you can discover:

  • The significance of the 30-day grace period after your DUI arrest, and how this impacts your driving privileges.
  • How initiating a DMV hearing within 10 days can extend your driving rights.
  • Strategies for obtaining a work permit following a DUI-related license suspension.

How Quickly Can I Secure A Work Permit For Driving After A DUI Arrest In Marin County, California?

If you’ve been arrested for a DUI in Marin County, a pressing concern is often about retaining your ability to drive, especially when it comes to your work-related needs. Fortunately, you can often continue driving shortly after the arrest.

In California, if your license is taken during a DUI arrest, you should receive a pink notice of suspension and revocation. This document informs you of a 30-day grace period before your driving privileges are suspended.

However, if you or your attorney request an administrative hearing with the DMV within 10 days, you can secure a stay of suspension. This stay allows you to continue driving until the hearing, which might not be scheduled for several months.

Navigating this process can be tricky, especially since the DMV’s recent procedural changes. It is vital to have knowledgeable legal support to ensure you don’t lose your driving privileges prematurely and can maintain your daily routines.

Is Obtaining A Work Permit Possible Before My DUI Charge Court Hearing?

Whether you need a separate work permit to drive after a DUI arrest is a common question. The arrest itself, coupled with the issuance of the pink suspension/revocation order, allows you to continue driving for 30 days. More importantly, if you initiate a DMV hearing within 10 days of your arrest, your driving privileges can be extended.

This extension can allow you to maintain your normal activities, such as commuting to work and fulfilling family responsibilities. The situation differs slightly for those with out-of-state licenses, but the privilege to drive in California usually remains intact. Prompt legal action is essential in these cases to maintain your driving privileges and prevent any adverse effects on your driving status in your home state.

What Are My Options For A Work Permit If My License Is Suspended Due To A DUI In Marin County?

Facing a license suspension after a DUI charge brings up concerns about work permit eligibility. The ability to obtain a work permit hinges on specific circumstances surrounding your DUI case.

If your suspension results from a court conviction, not requesting a DMV hearing within 10 days, or a DMV hearing loss, you may be eligible for a restricted license, except in refusal cases. In refusal cases, where you did not take a chemical test post-arrest, there is a mandatory one-year suspension with no option for a restricted license in California.

For non-refusal cases, obtaining an ignition interlock license or a work-restricted license involves enrolling in a DUI school, securing SR 22 insurance, and paying a reissue fee. An ignition interlock license offers broader driving privileges, allowing you to drive any vehicle equipped with an ignition interlock device.

This process can be complex and varies based on vehicle type and other factors. Consulting with a seasoned DUI attorney is beneficial in navigating these requirements and choosing the best options for your situation.

For more information on securing a Work Permit For Driving In Marin County, a free initial consultation is your next best step. Get the information and legal answers you are seeking by calling (415) 886-6333 today.

Aaron Bortel

For A Free Case Evaluation
Call Us 24/7: (415) 886-6333
Text Us Now: (415) 799-3419

Translate »
Accessibility Accessibility
× Accessibility Menu CTRL+U