At the beginning of 2022, the law regarding DUI diversion changed. DUIs are no longer eligible for diversion in California. Please contact our office with any questions. Email us at OR Call us at: (415) 886-6333

We Are Open 24/7 And Offer Free In Person And Virtual Consultations.

Call Us 24/7 For a FREE Case Evaluation: (415) 886-6333 Text Us Now: (415) 799-3419

Law Offices of Aaron Bortel

The Interstate Compact is an agreement that California has with most other states where they share information. If you get convicted of a DUI here and you are not from California, your home state will probably be notified by the California Department of Motor Vehicles. When you go in to renew a license for any reason, your home state’s DMV will see what happened in California and can take action. That action is typically a suspension of your driver’s license, possibly DUI School, and possibly having to have an ignition interlock device on your car for a certain period of time. There are things that can be done to make it less likely that your home state will see what happened.

Typically, you will need SR-22 high risk insurance after conviction of a DUI in California. This is something that can show up as a red flag for your home state. Getting that insurance in California right before a conviction may prevent it from showing up in your home state. What you should do is check with a DUI lawyer in your home state. I recommend someone who is a member of the National College of DUI Defense or another organization that focuses on DUIs. Some are a lot more knowledgeable than others and you might find that the attorney you are dealing with in California can put you in touch with the right lawyer in your state. Being a member of a number of national organizations makes me qualified to give you referrals in other states.

Can A Police Officer Confiscate My Out Of State License After A DUI Arrest In California?

Police officers are not supposed to confiscate your out of state license. Officers in California, if they believe that your alcohol level is 0.08 or greater, will take your license and send it to the DMV. You don’t get that one back; you have to go get a new one. However, if you have a license from out of state, the officer should not take it. If they do, your next move should be to contact the local Department of Motor Vehicles or Driver Safety Office and request an administrative hearing and a stay of suspension. The officer will typically give you a pink sheet or a temporary license which has the instructions for requesting an administrative hearing. In the meantime, apply for a driver’s license in California or apply for a duplicate license in your home state.

For more information on Impact Of Interstate Driving License Compact, an initial consultation is your next best step. Get the information and legal answers you are seeking by calling (415) 886-6333 today.

Aaron Bortel

For A Free Case Evaluation
Call Us 24/7: (415) 886-6333
Text Us Now: (415) 799-3419

Translate »
Accessibility Accessibility
× Accessibility Menu CTRL+U